Since its inception in 1987, SMARRDEC has been governed by a Regional Research and Development Coordinating Council (RRDCC).
The RRDCC as the policy-making body of the consortium is composed of the heads of member-agencies who shall elect a chairperson and vice-chairperson from among themselves. The position of the chairperson and vice-chairperson who shall serve for two (2) years may be rotated among the member-agencies.
The SMARRDEC Secretariat is composed of a Consortium Director that heads the working arm of the Consortium with its management support staff and Coordinators of Regional Research and Development Group (RRDG), Regional Techno Gabay Program (RTGP), Regional Communications Office (RACO) and a Regional Management Information Systems (RMIS) respectively.
The RRDG coordinates the planning, development, monitoring and evaluation of on-going and completed R&D projects and information communications and technology (ICT) concerns regarding collection and submission of R&D data. The RTGP group leads the planning, coordination and management of the technology promotion and commercialization activities of the consortium. As the communication arm of the Consortium, the RACO is the communication specialists within the consortium and is usually composed of the regional information officers of government departments and extension communication officers of SUCs. It provides purposive and effective applied communication to bring S&T information to the consortium’s various clienteles while the RMIS Group coordinates the planning, development, maintenance and monitoring of information communications and technology (ICT) concerns at and within the regional level.
Today, the Consortium has 24 active member-agencies sharing equal status in the organization. All member-agencies pursue shared goals (ensure R&D integration, complementation and resource sharing in the conduct R&D activities in the region), and also share among them the different duties associated to the management of regional R&D. They share information freely, source-out funds for research and development activities, put-up for a/consultation meetings to discuss/resolve differences, discuss issues of common concern, and agree on a unified response. The Department of Toursim (DOT), Department of Trade & Industry (DTI) XI), Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) and Compostela Valley State College (CVSC) joined in only recently. With the change in the geopolitical landscape of some regions in Mindanao in early 90’s, earlier members, such as Cotton Development Authority (CODA) and Mindanao State University – General Santos Campus (MSU GenSan) withdrew their membership from SMARRDEC. Around that time, TRRC, a private research arm of a local banana growing company in the Davao area, likewise did the same.
- Agricultural Training Institute (ATI) XI
- Bureau of Agricultural Research (BAR)
- Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR)
- Bureau of Plant Industry – Davao National Crops Research & Development Center (BPI-DNCRDC)
- City Government of Davao
- Compostela Valley State College (CVSC)
- Davao Del Norte State College (DNSC).
- Davao Integrated Development Program (DIDP)
- Davao Oriental State College of Science and Technology (DOSCST)
- Department of Agriculture (DA-RFU XI)
- Department of Environment and Natural Resource (DENR) XI
- Department of Science and Technology (DOST) XI
- Department of Tourism (DoT) XI
- Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) XI
- Fiber Industry Development Authority (FIDA) XI
- National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) XI
- Philippine Coconut Authority-Davao Research Center (PCA-DRC)
- Philippine Council for Agriculture Aquatic and Natural Resources Research and Development (PCAARRD)
- Provincial Government of Davao del Norte,
- Provincial Government of Davao del Sur
- Provincial Government of Davao Oriental
- Southern Philippines Agri-business and Marine and Aquatic School of Technology (SPAMAST)
- University of Southeastern Philippines (USeP)
- University of the Philippines-Mindanao (UP-Min)